Whether they realize it or not, fleet managers use metrics every day as a way to know where they stand in terms of fleet performance. Managing a team across multiple locations and finding specific fleet information quickly are two of the top problems many fleet managers face.
The solution? A customized, integrated system that collects and uses real-time data to deliver specific information about lift trucks and operators. When they have the right metrics, fleet managers can more easily analyze the fleet’s composition and utilization. Let’s first take a look into the “why” and “what” and “how” of fleet optimization measurement.
1. Why measure?
You can’t manage what you don’t measure. Metrics are part of any successful organization and can help managers know where they stand, understand performance, provide benchmarks, and offer goals and targets to achieve. The majority of warehouse activities can be measured using metrics — it’s simply a matter of finding the right combination of tools and metrics to measure.
2. What metrics should you measure for your warehouse fleet?
Let’s start with the basics. You should always be aware of:
- Number of trucks at any given time
- Location of trucks at any given time
From here, you can begin looking at metrics to optimize your fleet, including:
- Departmental cost per fleet
- Distance traveled
- Accident rates and cost
- Lifecycle cost
- Critical battery parameters
These metrics help you ensure all trucks and equipment are operationally sound and maintained properly. They can also help you create optimized processes and operations to reduce inefficiencies.
3. How can you get the information you need?
For managers who seek ultimate visibility to achieve maximum productivity and effectiveness, iWAREHOUSE Enterprise delivers an unmatched, 360-degree view into any operation.
iWAREHOUSE provides custom solutions for fleet optimization, helping you move forward in the management of multiple facilities. The software delivers a range of benefits, helping fleet managers:
- Combine data with proven analysis techniques, further improving operational efficiency.
- Gain increased productivity and lower operational costs.
- Provide training for managers and operators.
- Combine data into a unique, single-view portal for easy accessibility.
We’re excited about iWAREHOUSE and our unique abilities to improve fleet optimization. Talk to a representative to learn more about how we can best suit your needs.